LOCK AND DAM PRINTABLES
SENATE WRDA BILL ACHIEVES MAJOR ICGA PRIORITIES:
· The Senate’s WRDA bill contains a number of critically important provisions related to the modernization of inland waterways lock and dam infrastructure. Fifty-seven percent (57%) of the locks and dams on the nation’s inland waterways system have exceeded their economic design life expectancy.
· Of specific interest to inland waterways stakeholders, the final WRDA bill was amended by the managers to include elements of the RIVER Act to remove the over-budget and long-delayed Olmsted lock and dam project from the Inland Waterways Trust Fund (IWTF), the remainder of the cost to be paid 100% by general treasury revenue and not cost-shared 50-50 through the IWTF. This action will free up around $750 million to the IWTF to complete other critical priority navigation projects.
· An increase in the threshold for major rehabilitation, from the current $14 million to $20 million, was also approved.
· Also included in the WRDA bill is prioritization of navigation projects and revamping of project delivery processes to achieve on time and within budget performance. Prioritization is based upon risk of failure and benefits to the nation with an emphasis on finishing projects already underway and ensuring that funding is available to efficiently complete work. Ensuring that future Corps’ estimates for project costs have a confidence level of at least 80% is also included.
· Not included in the Senate WRDA bill is the industry-supported provision to increase the diesel fuel user fee. The Constitution requires that revenue enhancement measures originate in the House of Representatives, therefore this provision must originate in the House version of WRDA or be added to some other revenue measure. Illinois Corn looks forward to the companion legislation in the House including this provision.
For more information about the need to upgrade our river transportation system, download these easy-to-read fact sheets!
UPDATES FROM IL CORN:
ACT NOW ON WATERWAYS LEGISLATION - April 12, 2013
IL CORN SUPPORTS TWO NEW WATERWAYS BILLS - March 22, 2013
SENATOR DICK DURBIN RECEIVES 2013 WCI LEADERSHIP SERVICE AWARD - March 19, 2013
WAVE 4 INTRODUCED THURSDAY; CONGRESSMAN LIPINSKI CO-SPONSORS - March 18, 2013
ANTIQUATED LOCKS AND DAMS MAKE HEADLINES - February 6, 2013