ILLINOIS PIG FARMS GROWING, EXPANDING - HERE'S WHY!
If you didn’t see it already last week, take a minute to check out one of your farmer peers being featured in the Springfield State Journal Register.
Phil Borgic, a Raymond, IL hog farmer and leader in the agricultural industry, shared many details about his farm, the practice and procedure for expanding a hog farm, and the economics that are driving livestock farm expansion in a recent interview.
As of the first of May, Illinois livestock farmers have already filed around 75 notices of intent to construct – the first notification to the Illinois Department of Ag that a farmer intents to build a new barn or expand an existing barn. Borgic explains that consumer demand and high pork prices are driving the investment and expansion.
The profile also mentions the jobs Borgic is providing at his farm, as well as his efforts to open his farm up to legislators, school groups, and other average citizens who want to know more about farms and food production.
For an especially uplifting read, check out the comments on this article. All are positive!
Illinois was the fourth-largest hog-producing state in the nation in 2012 with annual sales of $1.5 billion, according to the most recent census of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Iowa led the country with sales of $6.8 billion, followed by North Carolina at $2.9 billion and Minnesota at $2.8 billion. Indiana was fifth with annual sales of $1.3 billion.
Illinois herds totaled 5.1 million in March 2016, according to USDA, up 1 percent from December and 7 percent from March 2015. Breeding animals totaled 500,000 in March, up by 10,000 from December and March 2015. Hogs for market totaled 4.6 million head, an increase of 1 percent from December and 8 percent from March 2015.
Given the most recent soil temperatures from the Illinois State Water Survey and the outlook for ongoing colder weather.Learn More
EPA has extended the registration for dicamba but you should know these two key points .Learn More
Congress must also meet certain dates and actions to be enacted.Learn More